Friday, July 3, 2015

Hi. My name is Renee Alivio and I like to run.

So, I decided I am going to write July’s blog to make sure I get my training in for the Tely 10!  :)

For those who don’t know me, my name is Renee Alivio, also known as Marc’s wife. Isn’t that right, Dan Bobbett?  I tried running back in 2011 shortly after having our first daughter but my body didn’t think that was a good decision AT ALL and had to stop. Not long after that attempt to run I got pregnant again, so I was off the hook! Our second daughter was born August 2012. Many PRC’ers know that I didn’t have the most pleasant pregnancies so running was not an option.  In both pregnancies my pubic bone separated, I could hardly walk let alone run.


Fast forward to March 2013, Marc convinced me to sign up for the Learn to Run program.   You will love it he said!  I. HATED. IT!

I remember running with Sharon Ralph doing 3 and 1’s and couldn’t even run 3 minutes without feeling like I was dying! I was for sure dying!  I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t talk, I wanted to stop and go home! But I didn’t stop, I kept going and I am a LTR graduate. Class of Winter 2013, thank you very much! 

Once I got the hang of things and could actually breathe while running, I actually started to like running. Yes, yes Marc, you were right. 

In my 2013 running season I completed LTR with PRC, found out I was a Diabetic (which sucks by the way), ran the Mews 8 km (came dead last), ran the Tely 10 (signed up when I was doing 7 and 1’s) and ran the last leg of the Huffin Puffin relay.  

So with everything that I did in 2013, made me not want to run as much. I think I did too much too quickly and my 2014 running season suffered.  I didn’t run much and I started to put on weight again.  

However, I did take more pictures so that is ok. It was nice to see my pictures being used for so many profile pictures. 

In November 2014, I was feeling like I wanted to get back to running again. I was feeling good and was enjoying my run. Then, my feet didn't want to work for a split second and I tell you, that split second is pretty important if you don't want to fall on a busy street in front of a busy Tim Hortons. That is all it takes, which caused me to fall about 4km’s into my 8km run. I got up and kept running/hobbled to Tim Hortons on Water Street.  It.hurt! It hurt a lot and I ruined a really comfortable pair of running pants! I couldn’t even fix them because the whole knee was gone!  I ended up spraining my knee and I am still being treated for it but it is getting better.

Part of my Tely training I decided to join Weight Watchers, this has helped me so much with my training because I have the weight of a Back Street Boy gone. I joined the end of April and within the first month I had 10 pounds gone! Crazy hey! Such a good feeling and an even better feeling for getting 2 free months of Weight Watchers because of it!  With Weight Watchers and running, I now have 18.4 pounds gone! I am not done with the weight loss though, I have another 30 pounds to go.


Running has helped me with bringing my sugars and weight down.  I now have to run with my meter and Gatorade because I can’t tell if my sugars are low. I finished running just Neil’s Pond one day and my sugars went from 9 (after eating a sandwich) to 3.2, didn’t even know, it is just a habit to always check my sugars before and after a run.  I am open to suggestions for any other diabetics that run.


Now that you know a little about me, I will update you on my running over the month of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment