Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Heroes amongst us

Wow!!!   June has flown by!!!   

 I’ve really enjoyed writing these blogs…..they force me to take time and reflect.

LOL…..could just write gibberish I suppose, but I try to make them somewhat insightful.

So tonight as I thought about my final post, I sat watching the sun set over beautiful Conception Bay and I was thankful. Thankful for the freedom’s we have and the beautiful country in which we live. Thankful for those who fought to ensure these freedoms.  Thankful for my wonderful father, who shared many “stories from overseas” with me before he passed away when I was just 19.

Dad was in the Royal Navy during WWII; he served on 5 different vessels and survived 4 torpedo attacks which scuttled the ship from beneath him. These are not the stories he told as they were much too painful to allow to the surface.

Instead, he told stories of heroism and lifelong friendships…..he never glorified war but conceded to its necessity at the time.

Tonight as I reflect on Canada Day and what it means, I’m reminded of the quiet hero’s amongst us every day.



They are the people who survive and flourish despite incredible personal pain, the people who through a smile or hug can change the course of someone’s day, and the people put their own lives before others in the name of work every day.

In our running world; they are the people along the roadside cheering for us on race day, they are the volunteers who stand in the cold or blistering heat to hand us a water bottle, they are people who come back and run the last KM with you when you think you’re never going to make it across the finish, they are our PRC family at the finish, and they are each and every one of you !

So as our running season gears up and we head out to enjoy the freedoms and beauty of our wonderful province, take the time to recognise the heroes amongst us. Some are obvious such as our peace keepers and emergency responders; others have a quieter presence, yet an enormous impact on our daily lives.



No comments:

Post a Comment