Thursday, August 11, 2016

We killed the Dime!

So we killed the Dime. Well more like we butchered it! After my last blog Tara Philpot mentioned that she would run with me today. I sent her a message to arrange a time and distance. She said 11 am and I said 10 KM. (For the record she thought I was going to say 4 km.) As I pulled up to Peter Barry Duff parking lot I was thinking, “Who picks 11 O’Clock in the summer to run 10 km??”  It was 26 degrees out! 26!! Well. Tara did. Haha.


So the plan was to run the Dime of the 5 and Dime road race. (If you want to register, you can do so here http://www.paradiserunningclub.com/Five_Dime.html)  But don’t do this route!

We started off good, went right to the guard rail. Good start, right!? Did I mention it was 26 degrees out? On the way down the road we were trying to figure out where the turnaround was for the 10k because it is not marked yet. Get on that will ya Marc? We couldn’t find it. 

On goes our brilliant ideas. As we were running we made so many plans to run up a couple Cul de sacs or run around the pond again. I don’t think we ever did make it up one of them, the thought was there though!

As we were running, I thought, “If we run the dime route we STILL have to run up the big hill again to get to our cars. Who wants to do that?” Not us! Remember, it was hot out! I am still suffering from a cold and sometimes it hurt to breathe. Just sayin! 

We turned up Buckingham and all of a sudden we started talking about Diane Coffin. At that same time we got goose bumps just thinking about her. We ended up talking to her and asked her to help us get through this run and up the freakin hill. On comes the big gust of wind that was non-existent the whole run.  

We carried on with our run and went around the pond. At this point, I didn’t care if we had 3 km in, I was done. But I wasn’t. I dipped my hands in the pond to cool off and we carried on.  We were walking for a bit. It was hot out. We noticed just up a head there were three garbage buckets on the side of the road.
Tara: Ok we will run when we get to the first bucket.
Me: How about the second one?
Tara: Ok
Me: umm how about the third one? (Mind you these were all pretty close to each other)
We keep walking.
Tara: Ahh we just passed ALL THREE buckets.
Me: Shit! Let’s run.
So you can imagine what our run was like. We had good conversations and a few laughs. We ended up trying to figure out where the 10 k turn around was again so we onto Three Island Pond Road again.
Me: Ok. We will run down to the yellow car and turn around.
Tara: Ok.
So we run
Tara: How about the grey car? (This was further down the road.)
Me: Seriously?
We keep running.
Me: Let’s run down to the third light pole.
Tara: What?
We kept running. I was hot. It was hot out.

We turn around at the light pole and head back to the car. For some strange reason our watches were off by a full KM! Seriously! We were side by side the whole time. For the record we are going by her watch, which made us run further. On my watch we ran 8.73 but on Tara’s watch it was 9.73.

On goes the run and we are on Buckingham again and yet again Diane’s name appears. And again the wind picks up. Of course it was in the wrong direction and in our face up the hill but she was there with us again.

The run was fun but we agreed the next time we run during the day it won’t be at that time.
I still ended up running tonight. Hard core Lori ran on with Batman and did about a billion hill repeats while Coach Molly, Shelley and I took it easy and got a couple hill repeats in and did 5 k.


Only 1 month 5 days until my first Half Marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment