Thursday, September 17, 2015

ITP runs

ITP Season

Back to school means a lot of things in my (Roseanne’s) house. It means packing lunches, homework, resuming tumbling, karate and all the other activities and responsibilities that fall to the wayside during the summer. Plus, fall is a busy work-travel season for me.

Biggest on my bummer list is the ITP runs – translation “If time permits”.

I texted my friend Lisa. “Want to run Sunday?”

Response “Sure. What time?”

Between the two of us, we had two birthday parties, one swim team meeting, one hockey game, karate, tumbling, groceries to buy, meals to cook and a few drop-offs.

See where I’m going with the ITP run? Neither of us are competitive runners – we are competitive with each other and have our own goals, but not expecting podium finishes.  

We’ve been friends for a long time and value the social part of running together just as much as the exercise benefits. So we have to be flexible in our run times and lengths if we want to squeeze it in and run together.

There have been times where a quick coffee together in between meetings and events was all that we could fit in. And this is just fine with me.

Luckily, Lisa was fine with forgoing the only morning she can sleep in to help me on my run, which started at 6am.  

She ran 11km in the midst of my long run. Heading back to her place, I was ready to drop out of the marathon training. I had even asked her to drive me home, rather than finish the last leg. Sitting in her porch, as she is looking for her keys and she says, “Are you sure you don’t want to try and finish the run?”

Just that one question. And I was off running again.

Here’s to friends and family who pass on the extra zzz’s just to run and know when to ask the right questions!


Speaking of missing some zzz's, I (Andrea) planned on getting on the treadmill once the kids fell asleep tonight. As they are both still awake, I know I won't care to complete a run later, even if I started. I will most likely be cracking open a bottle of wine instead.  Now that, I can finish.   ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment