Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Huffin And Puffin for 42K!

Roseanne here.

I registered for the marathon weeks ago. I had every intention of doing all the training.
Did I stick to the plan? Not really.

But I got many runs in and I was going to run the full, with no time goal in mind.

When I registered, I remember entering the information for age, run group, visa and shirt size. What I don’t remember is the check box that says “Leave your ego at the start line.”

I’d like to make the recommendation that any future races that I enter, should definitely have that check box.

I was excited to start. The first 10km flew by as Ron, Juanita and Madeline chatted. The second 10ish, slightly more challenging.

Crossing the mat at the 21.1km felt awesome and sucked at the same time. I loved the first loop, but was not at all excited about repeating it. The second go-around saw my pace slow down, which I anticipated, even though my ego was not impressed. It was around 30ish km mark that I started to think I don’t like running anymore.  Right around the same time that one of the five-bandaged toes started to throb. At the 35km mark, my back started to feel achy. I can remember looking at my watch at 37km and cursing – a lot. In order to tune out the achy complaints my hips were screaming, I started to count footsteps at the 39km mark. I counted to 100 and then started again. Those numbers got me through to the park.

Then a stranger cheered me on at the bridge and said, “Almost there, you look strong. Finish strong.”

Maybe it’s a good thing that my ego wasn’t left at the start line, because I’m sure his words spurred whatever of my ego was left to help carry my sorry behind the last few steps.

Finishing my first marathon was amazing. Within minutes of crossing the finish line, I texted Andrea and said I will never do one again.

Several blisters later, one less toenail, a shaky walk in the office today, and I’m slowly starting to wonder if I’ll stick to what I said to her. Maybe my ego will get the better of me again and I’ll find myself entering another one….

Until we meet again, Huffin and Puffin’ers.



Andrea here.  First off, I want to say a huge congrats to all the PRC’ers who ran the races this weekend!  Although I was in Bermuda and not able to watch, I was certainly cheering you on!  There was however, a few similarities in my weekend and yours.  Yah sure, you say! Let me explain…

As you were laying out your running gear the night before the race, I was drying out my swimming gear preparing for another late night dip in the pool.

As you were hydrating all day Saturday, I was also consuming copious amounts of fluids. Some of which was water (the ice cube portion), the rest was rum and whatever else goes in Bermuda’s famous Rum Swizzles.

As you were inspecting the damage on your feet on Monday, I too, did some damage.  All that running in the Toronto airport to catch our connecting flight has left me with one fewer toenail. One that was hanging in for dear life after the Tely 10, has been left behind somewhere in the airport. (eww!)

As you are feeling pretty stiff today from the race, I too, am feeling muscle pain.  Brad and I rented a Ski Doo one day and he so mischievously took a sharp turn and sent me flying into the ocean.  I suffered some whiplash and lost my sunglasses, but certainly enjoyed the flight. 


All jokes aside, I am very proud of all that you guys have accomplished! Enjoy the post race pain/stiffness and let it remind you of your hard work and determination.  As for Roseanne, I am elated to see that you have joined the group of Marathoners.  One thing I will say to you is that I’m certain EVERYONE says they will never run another marathon right after they finish.  But, they will, and you will. Next time will be alongside me!!!

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoy your blog posts! Keep up the great community work.

    Smitty

    ReplyDelete