Thursday, September 10, 2015

34 K? Yes, sure. Wait…what?

34 K? Yes, sure. Wait…what?

Last week,  the marathon group was talking about the route for Sunday’s long run.  As soon as I (Andrea) heard mention of the long run, I laid claim to providing the refreshments somewhere along the route. It was my turn to set up the “lemonade stand” as Leah put it, and provide water/Gatorade and snacks. So, my husband and kids volunteered to park alongside the road and wait for the groups of PRC runners to stop by for drinks.  When the time came, I asked Ron where Brad and the kids should park along the route. He suggested around the 23-25km mark in Killbride.   Wait, what?  How long was the route?  34 km! Oh shit.  Leave it to me to volunteer to be a key part of the longest training run they had planned.   

So, Sunday’s run started off cold; reminding us that the summer we barely saw has left already.  As usual, I complained for the first ten minutes; wishing I had worn warmer clothes. I had follow my tried and trusted method of deciding what to wear, named “WWJD” or rather, What Would Janice Do. She said capris and a shirt.  It was about the 3rd km in when I realized she was right (once again) and we didn’t need gloves.  Janice 300 : Andrea 0.   

Apart from a near miss with a little mouse around Neil’s pond, the first half of the run was easy-going and we settled into an average pace of 5:30.  I managed to keep up with them for about 16k, then as the fatigue set in, I started to plan my escape for the 25km mark.  Surely Brad would need help passing out the Gatorade and the kids would be upset watching me leave again so quickly with the group.  I had myself convinced I had to stay.  Why not, I wasn’t running the marathon… just out for a long run and 25k was good enough!  I was quite happy to see Brad, the kids and the candy at Tim's in Killbride and was ready to haul off the sneakers when the girls said I had to keep going; only a few km more!   I’m not sure why I agreed at the time, but I did, and kept on running.  

I am glad I did.  The last part of the run was certainly the hardest, having to run uphill to Coffee Matters for the finish.  As I was questioning my decision to continue with every step, Randy must have heard my thoughts.  He was chatting with John and ever so timely, said how enduring this part of the run is what makes us stronger/faster.  Thanks Randy, that gave me the motivation to keep going just long enough to finish the 34k.     



I, (Roseanne) have a Randy, too.

I have a habit of taking my lack of thought (see last week’s blog) and just agreeing to runs and races. A marathon is a bucket list for me. My husband thinks it should be on the f&*k-it list. Note to self – husband is not a Randy.  So a few weeks ago I signed up for the full thinking I can do it!

Well…. I’m still wondering if I can.

I haven’t put in the diligence that Andrea has. I’ve missed a lot of the runs, shortened some, and well, just plain-old said “Not going at it today.”

With the plan for yet another long run looming, I told Andrea I was heading to the cabin for the long weekend and would have to do it in cabin country. I’m sure she thought I would bail.  

But this time, I had some accountability. I asked my husband and a few friends to each take a 10km-ish leg and help me run it. Well, they did. And I did it. 30km in Deer Park, on the Saturday morning of a long weekend.

The first 8km flew by. When I stopped to tag out partners, I started to get a little hungry and grabbed some fuel. By the 25km mark, I was covered in dust from ATVs, thirsty and hangry – you know so hungry you are angry – hangry. Another bit of fuel, some water and off I went again. I passed an older gentleman sitting on his deck four times in the span of 3 hours. The last time I ran by, his beer looked so cold, maybe I should stop…it would be the polite thing to say hi… Hmmm what do I smell on the bbq? 

Thankfully, Randy (aka known as Justin for my run) said, “almost done, Rose. This will be the longest I’ve run so far this year. Thanks for pushing.”

Well that did it. I had to finish it. And I did.

Funny how a few words at the right moment can make all the difference.


Thanks to all the Randy’s – whose words of encouragement can spur us on that much further.

No comments:

Post a Comment