Sunday, August 30, 2015

They Must Be Runners!

Tuesday’s run was much better than the 500m fiasco. I did have a bit of anxiety before we started out wondering if there would be a repeat which would be the beginning of a long streak of 500m runs. I’m happy to report that this was not the case.

I ran with Renee again. We discussed our options and decided on two laps of Neil’s Pond which would be 5k. Instead, we ended up doing a 6k run. We (Renee) kept changing the route as we ran and eventually we ended up on Mary Ann Place. As we were looping the cul-de-sac we passed a group of kindergartners who stopped what they were doing and stared at us like we were Santa and Rudolph. One of them whispered to the others “They must be runners!”

In that moment, I realized that to these 5 year olds I looked like an elite runner. It felt pretty sweet. It just goes to show that no matter what your pace there is someone out there who thinks that you are amazing at what you do - even if that person also thinks the Tooth Fairy has a castle in the sky made from teeth.

Enter Thursday. As I was waiting in the parking lot, I get the usual text from Renee.



For some reason, I tried to convince Renee to do a short run instead of nothing. She grudgingly agreed and we headed out for our two loops of Neil’s Pond. Once all the other PRCers passed us, I realized that Renee was having a 500m night. It just wasn’t there. So we decided to walk instead.

Right to Coffee Matters.


 


There is something a little odd about drinking tea and eating Rice Krispie cookies while wearing running gear and a fuel belt.

I’m sure every member of the club ran past us on the way back to the community center. Most were too fast to notice our beverages, but not all. Tanya, Sue and Sharon stopped for a chat before heading on down the trail to rat us out to our husbands.

Marc and Sugar almost never run together. And when they do, they never stop or slow down when they pass us. Thursday was the perfect storm.

We promised the men that we would make up for the run on Friday. It didn’t happen.
We decided to go Saturday afternoon instead. It didn’t happen.
Sunday afternoon would be better anyway. It didn’t happen.

I realize now that was most likely my last "run" for the month which also means my last blog entry.

What has this time of reflection taught me?

1)     If you aren’t enjoying your running, figure out why and make the necessary changes (Go shoe shopping and make cookies)

2)     Everyone has bad running days/months/years. It doesn't mean you have to give up on your goals (Colin Fewer didn’t run the Tely 10 this year and he’s awesome)

3)     There will always be someone faster than you and that’s okay (you are ahead of those home on the couch)

4)     You never know who you are inspiring (everyone is a hero to someone)

5)     Don’t be a slave to your schedule (It’s okay to miss a run if your bestie needs a tea break)


I still don’t love running but we’ve reached a truce. I will continue to run and I’ll keep on trying to figure out how to make it more enjoyable. It may take some time and lots more Rice Krispies but I’m up for the challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment