Monday, August 24, 2015

Runner's High (and Low)

Last Wednesday Sugar and I decided to take part in Biped’s first ever (and hopefully annual) Scavenger Hunt Run. The staff had put together a list of clues for us to solve and we had to run around downtown St. John’s trying to find the locations. It was at this run that I discovered that I am actually able to reach a 6:11 pace. All I need is a puzzle to solve along the way.

We didn’t win the hunt but we had a lot of fun and there were chocolate bars at the finish. Score! It was nice to see PRCers Amanda and Sarah there too and I think they had just as much fun as Sugar and I.



It was another good run. I picked the big toothy grin on my app because I had such a great time.

I had planned on skipping Thursday’s run since I ran on Wednesday. Sugar was working and there was no one to encourage me to go. I was all set for a relaxing evening in front of the television.

Then I get a text from Renee.





Then I get a call from Sugar telling me he finished work early and was going to the group run if I wanted to go.

Looks like I’m running.

Renee and I did 5k in her best time to date. The look on her face when she realized that was one of complete disbelief. Running has definitely been on the upward swing lately.

Then Sunday happened.

I was working on Saturday morning (again) so I didn’t make the group run. On Sunday Sugar played the guilt card and suggested we go for a 10k run down the trail.

I’ve discovered that a lot of people run not out of love for the sport, but out of guilt. Some examples:

1)                           I missed a run because of work. I have to make it up or my race time will suffer.
2)                           I only ran 5k when my schedule says 8k. I have to run the extra 3k or my entire training plan will fall apart.
3)                           I ate two Costco sized bags of chips this weekend, now I have to run to Port aux Basques to burn off the calories.

In my case it was pulled pork poutine but they thought process was the same.

If I was still following my training plan, I’d be doing 10k so I was happy with the suggested distance. Things had been looking up running wise so I was feeling good about getting back on the trail, having another successful experience.

I think I made it about 500m.

It might have been the humidity. It might have been the attempt to run a 6:11 pace again. Or it might have been the tasty pixie drinks I’d consumed the night before. Either way, I didn’t have the ability to run without an air sick bag strapped to my fuel belt.

Sugar gave me a pep talk on the walk back to the car, doing his best to make sure this set back didn’t derail my progress. “We all have days like this,” might seem trite but I know it’s true. I’ve seen many strong, competent runners have bad days. It’s just a part of being a runner. I have no plans to let this one bad experience put an end to all the success I’ve had so far.  


Tomorrow is Tuesday. It’s another opportunity to run with the group and another chance to work towards running goals. Don’t let the little stumbling blocks prevent you from joining me J

No comments:

Post a Comment