Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Challenger

Saturday’s group run was replaced with PRC’s 8k race, The Figure 8. I wasn’t able to run since I had to work, but I was able to help out with registration before the race.

I always have mixed feelings on race day. If I’m running I feel sick and full of regret that I actually paid to do this. I could be on the side lines cheering everyone on, or better yet, still home in bed watching re-runs of The Big Bang Theory while eating Sour Cream and Onion Rings. But then the race starts and the anxiousness leaves and before I know it I’m across the finish line, feeling pretty good about the whole thing as I eat a celebratory banana with my fellow runners.

If I’m not racing, things usually go the other way. I feel all smug that I’m not standing at the start line feeling sick and full of regret, wishing I had made one more trip to the bathroom. But once the yellow singlets start passing by and the race finishes and everyone is talking about times, I feel like I missed out on something great. And the bananas don’t taste as good.

PRCer Kiley Dominie won the Figure 8 in a time of 31:13. He too must have new Saucony’s. However, even with my new sneakers, I am well aware that I would have only been at the 4k mark as Kiley Dominator crossed the finish line.

This might be discouraging to some but not to me. Because I just don’t care. I will never run 8k in 31 minutes. I probably won’t ever run 5k in 31 minutes and what’s more, I don’t ever NEED to. I will never cross a finish line first. I will never place in my age group (unless there are only three of us). Nike and Saucony will never have a bidding war over who gets to have me as a spokesperson for their merchandise (FYI – Saucony would win). That’s just the way it is and I’m okay with that. It really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. I don’t need to be the best.

I learned pretty early on in my running career that I have to run for myself, no one else. I have to run my pace, not the pace of that 70 year old man who always crosses the finish line just ahead of me. It takes practice to forget about everyone else and listen to what your body is telling you but once you figure it out, you’ll be more likely to stick with the sport.

It’s why I pushed on at the back of the pack on Tuesday’s run. It was hot and we took a hilly route thanks to Sugar’s suggestion. As the distance increased between the rest of the girls and myself I forced my thoughts to what would keep me going – “run the kilometer you’re in” and “look for the positives on this run”. I’ve discovered that looking for the positives helps me to forget the kilometers. For example, as we ran down Donna Road there was the most wonderful scent from a lilac tree. Marathoner Extraordinaire Mrs. Collins was waiting for me at the corner to make sure I wasn’t dead. Oh, and that cat in the ditch that assumed the attack pounce position did not jump on me and rip my new sneakers to shreds.

Crossing Topsail Road and heading up another hill on Karwood Drive, I briefly considered taking a short cut down the heavily shaded and beautifully flat Trailway. Marathoner Extraordinaire Mrs. Collins was just ahead of me – I could let her know I was taking a detour. The heat and hills were just too much of a challenge. Then I saw this:




Construction sign motivation. Very funny. I get it. It’s a challenge, I’m the challenger. OK, I’ll keep going.



This challenger has a support crew. Kind of like me and Marathoner Extraordinaire Mrs. Collins. I have to keep going.




This challenger has fallen flat on its face. I think it’s time for a walk break.


Marathoner Extraordinaire Mrs. Collins waited for me near the roundabout and we finished the rest of the route together before going to Dairy Queen. 7.42 km was the distance recorded on my app. The time – well, it really doesn’t matter now does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment