Saturday, March 15, 2014

Lucky 10

Saturday mornings - a time to sleep in, relax in your pajamas, have a coffee or three while you look out at the snow and ice realize that you don't need to go outside today.

That is unless you are part of the Paradise Running Club.

Andrew was up at 6:00 am, which meant I was up at 6:00 am. It was dark and -8 degrees. It was at this moment I decided I need new friends. Friends that sleep in and only run when the temperature is above zero and the sun is shining.

Andrew left at 7 am to meet Todd and run 26km. Puke.

I made it to PBD by 8am for our St. Patrick's Day run. There were lots of runners wearing green and looking very festive. Our group has certainly grown - the parking lot was full of people, including our newest members who are learning to run. LTR's are the most inspiring people. They are starting from scratch and giving it their all when it is so easy to just give up.

I had committed to run 10km for some reason so that is what I did. I started out with the group but I ran most of the way alone, passing members here and there along the way who always shouted words of encouragement.


It was a good run and I was pleased to see my pace had reached 6:14 at one point even with five layers on. That's a big jump from the 8:00 minute pace I had when I started running. 

The best part of the morning was heading to Coffee Matters with the group for coffee after the run. We filled the Coffee Shop, as we usually do, and shared our running stories of the morning. My legs were tired and I was cold but I would do it all again just to spend time with this group. Have I mentioned how awesome they are?





No comments:

Post a Comment