Wednesday, June 28, 2017

"What does it take?"

I can't believe June is almost over! My month of blogging is coming to an end. Before you know it, it will be time to line up at the start for the Tely 10! It's crazy how fast time goes by these days. I have to be honest. I actually didn't know how I would end out my month of blogging. I knew that I wanted to write at least one more to end the month but had no clue what to actually write about. Well, I had a request so here it goes...

This past Sunday was the Shoppers Drug Mart Run For Women. I had signed up for the 10 K race as did most of my running buddies. I also wanted to get my long run in and I had 18 K in mind. Lucky enough, Connie, Carol Ann, and Colleen were interested in a 15 K long run which was great! All I had to do was show up down at the lake just a little bit earlier than them and run the first 3 K solo. I am up early every morning (thanks to two kitties) so going early to get the extra 3 K in wasn't a problem for me. I got ready, packed a bag so I could change before the 10 K and off I went.

Looking back, I remember being scared the first 16 K run I ever ran. I even had my husband drop me off that morning because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to run the full distance. Now, I love the long distance running.  I would rather sign up for a Half Marathon over a 5 K race. I'm not really sure why I love the long distances, but I do. When I got to the lake, the rain had almost stopped. I started my watch and off I went to run the first 3 K. By the time I got back to the parking lot, the girls were showing up to do the other 5 K with me. It's so much better to run with others. I run a lot by myself so I really enjoy it when I get the chance to run with the girls.

Once my 8 K was done it was time to change and get ready for the 10 K. I didn't really think much about the fact that I would be a little tired for the race. I was supposed to run it, not race it. It was supposed to be a part of my long run. I think however, I kind of got caught up in the whole race feel and ended up pushing myself more than I was planning. I just couldn't help myself I guess. The route was tough this year and it was quite hot but, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right? I believe that's a lyric in a song so it must be true! LOL

I was asked what it takes to get my mind and body ready for an undertaking of running 8 K and then a 10 K race an hour later. I really don't know if I have an answer as such. To me, it was just my long run broken up in two parts. My mind and body know by now that it will be doing a long run sometime during the weekend. It's something I have worked up to over the past few years. It has taken a lot of time and dedication to get there but it's my favorite run of the week. I've decided to run the Huffin' Puffin Marathon again this year. My runs will only get longer from here as I prepare for the big day. After running the Marathon 2 years ago, I didn't really know if I would ever run another but here I am, doing it again!

It's been great writing the PRC blog this month. All of the wonderful comments were greatly appreciated! I almost backed out after I said I would write them but I'm glad now that I went ahead with it. We all have great stories to tell and we should tell them! I'll leave you now with one of my favorite quotes...

"You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got."

Tonia Kennedy 

No comments:

Post a Comment