Wednesday, March 8, 2017

The Power of "I CAN"

       
I wasn’t always a runner- in fact I am fairly new to running. When someone asked me last year what my “pace” was, I learned that “slow” was not the appropriate answer :)

We all run for different reasons. Some people run to lose weight- I actually started running because I lost weight and I felt I had something to prove to myself.

Someone told me a long time ago that I couldn’t run. I was told I was too big and my legs were too short (and my big boobs didn’t help either) I took those words to heart and didn't run!

Weighing in at +300 lbs, I decided that I needed to make a change. In Feb 2013, I signed up for weight watchers and headed to a water fitness class that same night and my journey to a healthier life began. I learned how to eat healthy and exercised 3x per week.  I lost 65 lbs in 10 months and then had weight loss surgery in Dec 2013. Over the next year, I lost another 100 lbs and continued to stay active.  With my new body and my increased fitness level, I saw my confidence increase so I tried many activities and then I thought – what about running?? What have I got to lose?

I remember the first time I ran- I was literally walking down my street and I thought,” I am just going to run for as long as I can and time myself “-so I started my timer and set off like a flash down the street! I pushed myself until my legs were burning and my lungs were going to burst! When I stopped and looked at my timer, it said 30 SECONDS!  Seriously!?! I realized 2 things that day.  #1- I totally sucked at running and #2 – it was OK that I sucked at running because I could actually RUN! There was no reason why I couldn’t try to learn to run!  I would finally prove that girl wrong from years ago!

I downloaded the C25K running app and did that for a while but felt if I needed more accountability, so when a good friend and PRC member posted last Spring that the LTR program was starting up, I signed up right away and have been running ever since! I am still not at a “let’s do an easy 15K ” kind of a runner  but I am a runner all the same and have come a long way from my sprint down my street! I have hit quite a few PB’s (personal bests- NOT pee breaks as I mistakenly once thought) and am still learning the ropes but slow and steady wins the race!!

So for the record- the girl that said I couldn’t run years ago…that was ME and I proved myself wrong! Never tell yourself that you cannot do something!  Today, I have multiple 5K’s under my belt plus my first Tele10 last year with my best LTR buddy. Our proudest moments aren't always the medals we achieve - sometimes our proudest moments are when no one is looking. 
 I plan do many more including a half marathon someday because I tell myself now that I CAN!

Much thanks for reading my story 
- Robyn Schwerdtfeger 

“You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great”-Zig Zagler


2 comments:

  1. Wow. What an amazing story Robyn! You should be proud of yourself. Looking forward to reading the rest of your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn.
    I had no idea where your journey started. So happy that you have achieved many of your goals with even more to come I am sure! Inspiration!

    ReplyDelete