Monday, October 5, 2015

Running is my Therapy

Hi everyone, my name is Tina Barry and I will be writing the blog for October; as I was voluntold by Andrew Tobin.  Many of you know Andrew, he is the membership coordinator for PRC and was my friend - Past Tense LOL

Running has become such a huge part of my life and I love it. It is funny how I now plan my life around running with my friends. Things such as drink nights, children's activities, socializing; nothing interferes with run days.  Running is my therapy :)

I started running in 2008 and my first race was the 5K Centennial Cup race in Grand Falls-Windsor, time and pace unknown, as I was more concerned with making sure I made it to the finish line and didn't die. When I moved to Mount Pearl in 2012 I continued to run with a friend of mine until I joined the Paradise Running Club in February of 2013.  I found out about the club from a co-worker, who told me that she was going to join and I thought I should too. My hope was it would get me out to meet new people and motivate me to run more.

I went to the trusty Google search engine to view the website for more information and soon I had the date and time for the PRC Club registration.  Excitement and apprehension set in as I was still new to the area and did not know a lot of people, but I felt comfortable knowing I would know at least one person there.  Fast forward to registration day, where I find out that my co-worker didn't even register; oh dear what have I done.  Oh well, too late now! Armed with all the details of the scheduled run times and directions from Susanne Ivany Blundon, I set out for PBD. For those who know me, I'm a directionally challenged individual and 2 1/2 years later Susanne and my other running buddies are still providing me with directions. The common joke amongst us is don't let Tina lead and someone make sure Tina's knows where she's going!

"Happiness is running with a friend" especially friends who make sure you don't get lost :)

It's been an awesome 2 1/2 years. I can honestly say it was a great decision to join the club.  I have made fantastic friends, who I can't imagine my life without and I have pushed myself physically to places I didn't think possible. Since joining the club I have run several 5K and 10K races, the Tely10 x3 and just recently completed my first half marathon.  This would not have been possible without being part of a fantastic group, who support and encourage one another with their running goals.

One of my goals has been to run the Cape to Cabot, crazy I know, but I think it's the challenge that entices me.  I felt last year was my time to take on this crazy adventure, but unfortunately a month away from the race I got injured and had to withdraw; that's another story for another time. Here it is, one year later and the Cape to Cabot is right around the corner; here's hoping my training and the support of the club can get me through.

Happy and healthy running! I look forward to seeing you all on the trails or at the pond!





No comments:

Post a Comment