Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Training Week: October 6 - October 12

If I thought last week was a bad week as far as running was concerned, then this past week was even worse.  Not much to report as far as mileage because there was practically no mileage (I did manage to take part in the Turkey Tea 10k on Sunday, I will get to that a bit later).  The nagging knee injury that I have been experinencing over the last 2 weeks flared up again on Monday. 

As I said in the last post, I was able to get through my Sunday long run with no problems.  My knee felt fine, no pain and no limping.  It wasn't until Monday morning that the pain returned.  So for 3 days (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) the pain was intense enough that I was walking with a limp and therefore no running.  I took Thursday, Friday and Saturday off as well just to be on the safe side.

On Thursday, I had an appointment with my chiropractor at Lakeview Chiropractic on LeMarchant Road, fellow PRC member and co-founder of the club, Dr. Randy Follett.  I mentioned to him the pain I was experiencing and he performed a Gait analysis on my feet to get a little more information on why this is happening.  What the test showed was that as I walk, my right foot tends to move inward (towards the left side of my body) and this could be part of the problem and insoles may be a solution to this.  Also, we discussed that my current running shoes are probably at the end of their running life and that the lack of cushioning currently in the shoe has probably contributed to the problem.  Luckily, I have a brand new pair ready to go!

Also on Thursday, I decided to sign up for the Turkey Tea 10k.  The pain was practically gone and I was able to do a couple of sprints with no problems so I said to myself, why not?  No better way to test out the knee than in a race environment.  I am happy to say that after running for 10km at a 4:22/km pace, my knee felt fine and more importantly, there was no big problems on Monday and Tuesday (I am writing this on Tuesday morning).  So things are looking promising for the C2C this coming Sunday.

As for the race itself, I did not achieve the PB I was hoping for.  The rain, headwind and a couple of problems with my shoelaces led to a slower time by 1 minute (43:48 compared to 42:51 the previous year).  But considering the physical problems I have had, I was still pleased with the result.

We are 5 days away from the 8th Annual Cape to Cabot 20 km Road Race.  This race will be a little more special than the previous year's because of the fact that it will be my 5th C2C and this year, ANE is reconizing all of the runners at the awards banquet who have completed at least five C2C's so there is a little more motivation this year to start and complete the race.  I am planning on just doing a few training runs this week, no more than 4-5 km and taking Friday and Saturday off before the big race.  I am optimistic that my knee will hold up.

I will be back with another post next week recapping the C2C experience!

Take care,
MA






No comments:

Post a Comment