Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Cinco de Mayo

Hey PRC peeps...it seems that May has brought some temperatures that will allow us to show off ankles...let's hope that Spring is finally here!

I've been volun-told I'm the May blogger...so here goes...my story...

Why do I run?  Why do I continue to lace up when I'm not known for a phenomenal pace, winning medals, or any acknowledgement at all?  Why do I bounce out of bed on weekends when during the week I linger in the bunk?  I'm really good at complaining.  How the temperature could have been better, how much my blisters hurt or how hard the run felt.  Why?

I did LTR a couple of years ago (with SIF), which was an accomplishment for me. I had no confidence with this. I really had myself set up for failure.  The first night was 1&1's.  Wow. I actually did it...and survived. With wind in my sails, I couldn't wait for the next session. Or would this be short lived?  Success seemed so far out of reach. Failure was coming. I'm still waiting to fail.

I didn't continue with SIF, and without a run partner, the following year seen runs which were few and far between. I needed to have a reason to run. I decided to join PRC.

This decision brought on another fear. How would I compare to my new pace buddies?  Will I be able to keep up?  I struggled at first, but I was determined to fit. So I worked like a dog, barely breathing, and did it. I fit.

Now I look forward to meeting these people (who I wouldn't recognize if they were wearing cotton or denim), in the hot, cold, wind, rain or snow.  I know someone will show up. Giving me reason to get up on weekends or sign up for the 5k, Tely or marathon. I know they will be there to push me on and congratulate me at the finish line. They're my biggest supporters and biggest fans. I don't have the fear anymore...my friends have taken it away from me.

I have much to be thankful for...thanks to PRC...

Tely training has begun...it's early in the schedule so I'm eager to do hills!  You'll see me Thursday evening doing repeats on Kinder with my friends!  Good luck to us all!

Run on, ROCKSTARS!

No comments:

Post a Comment