Thursday, April 9, 2015

To Race or Not to Race...

Hey PRCers,

A lot of us begin to run with the goal of completing the Tely 10, but most new comers do not realize that there are a number of other annual races overseen by NL Running or Running Room. The Flat Out 5K, Mews 8K, Downtown 10K, Huffin Puffin Half/Full Marathon, and Cape to Cabot are just a few.

I don’t think new comers really view the Tely as a competitive race, more of a goal or an accomplishment, internally competing with yourself.  I remember thinking the other races would be for serious competitive runners, and did not give any thought to entering.

After I ran my first Tely in 2012, I started thinking “what now?” I know people who have started running, completed a Tely 10, then just gave it up. Crossed it off there bucket list and moved on. I enjoyed running though. It is much easier to stay motivated when you have a goal. Although there were plenty of opportunities that fall to do races, I kept putting it off until I finally gave in an entered the Run to Remember 11K.

It was a small race in terms of participation. I was nervous about what I’d encounter, but as soon as I got there I was at ease. It wasn’t all seasoned runners. There were people there doing their first race, people running in memory of someone, acquaintances I had no idea ran, and of course a handful of high level competitive runners.

I had run into an acquaintance and he asked if I wanted to do a warm up run, I passed, thinking I’m about to run 11K, I need to save all the energy I can. Would later come to appreciate a nice light warm up run, much better than spending the first 2 or 3KMs loosening up, it definitely helped at the next years Tely as well.

Even in a smaller race, gathering behind that start line is a nice feeling of excitement and nervousness. I still love those final pre-race moments of buildup, then the release that comes when the gun/horn goes off and you just start running.

At the beginning of a race, it’s hard to avoid getting caught up in the initial rush of everyone out of the gate. The top competitors just bolt out, leaving you in their dust. Everyone else is also full of energy and pushing hard. This is great, and you feel awesome, and will likely start at a faster pace than you’ve ever ran before. THIS IS A TRAP! At least for us “Recreational Racers”. This adrenaline will die off and you’ll suffer for it later in the race. My constant self-reminder in a race is to “run my own race.” I have goals in mind leading up to an event. It’s easy for those to go out the window and end up in a mad scramble. But remember them, and stick to them!

A piece of advice for first-time racers. I learned a very important lesson about pre-race meals. Nowadays I usually go light with a peanut butter English muffin, a banana, and some water. Back then, there was no plan. I ended up drinking a Carnation instant breakfast. At about the 8K mark, I started feeling that milk nice and heavy in my stomach. It kept getting worse. I was loosening my coat around my neck, just trying to breath and forget about it. At 10.5K, near the finish, there is a turn in the trail, luckily I ended up completely on my own. No one visible in front, no one close behind. With that I pulled off to the side and promptly threw up my breakfast drink. Instantly feeling better, I pushed onto the finish. Just like the prior Tely, it felt awesome to cross a finish line.

I’m happy to see some LTRers are trying the Flatout 5K. It’s a decent little race that’s not too challenging. It’ll be a fantastic group and you’ll start to see lots of familiar faces. Usually end up running with the same groups of people. Often improving in times, race to race with each other.

I’m now registered, it’ll be my first starting line since the Tely, and hopefully my first finish line since the Carved by the Sea 10K. I’ve promised my wife I’ll take it easy, keep my heart rate under a certain rate, and just not push to hard. Definitely gonna have to mentally work to hold myself to just run my own race. Just can’t wait to cross a finish line again!

See you all on Sunday!

Mark



No comments:

Post a Comment