Sunday, November 16, 2014

Sunday morning solo run

No group runs planned for early today. First time in months. I decided to get out early anyway so I could spend a bit of quality time with my wife later in the day. I dressed in my winter gear - glad I did. It was cold in the Pearl - especially heading north into the wind on Commonwealth Ave. A road crew was making repairs near Sunrise Ave. A water main break left slushy ice on the road side...Below zero for sure.
As I headed towards Topsail Rd, I was looking forward to having the wind at my back. When I turned eastward it was a different day with sunshine peeking out from behind the dark November clouds. A toot from a red Civic reminded me that there are lots of friendly drivers out there. Not sure if the driver was a PRC member. The car was past before I could look.
My pace was easy today after two consecutive group runs with the faster PRC members. We did our coffee run yesterday at a 5:35 clip. It was a brisk run into a gusty wind. While the trees around the ponds sheltered us from the winds, we were disappointed to see debris from the daycare demolition near the new Sobeys flying down the trail at Neil's Pond. A construction fence might have been a good idea.
When I turned off Topsail to head down Brookfield Rd, the cold winds returned. I accessed the trailway at Edison Place and had the route to myself. It had taken me 42 minutes to this point so I figured I'd be home in under an hour. Most of the glorious fall colours had become brown and black mulch along the trail by now. The sky had a foreboding pre-winter look as I headed home near the Smallwood soccer complex. No players out on the fields this morning. Winter must be near!
Today's run took 60 minutes even. I didn't wear a Garmin so I guess I went approx. 10k. It was nice to finish an early run by 8:30. Sure felt lonely out there today. After running with my PRC marathon group since June, it seemed a little strange not to have at least one of them with me.

See you on the road (or trail) ....


1 comment:

  1. It was a great morning Ron...a few of us left Elizabeth Park at 10:00am...we looped the two ponds and returned for a nice 14.5K run. I was more excited about sleeping in until 8:00am Sunday morning...something I haven't done since last June. Looking forward to the bun run next Sunday. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your day. :)

    ReplyDelete