Friday, January 24, 2014

My bio


All of my life I have struggled with my weight.  They say a picture speaks a thousand words and as you can see I was born pleasantly plumb!

Some people say that your weight and body make up is decided long before your were born.  I still haven't decided if I agree with this or not.  All of my life I was told I was big boned but the more fit I become I am beginning to think that this isn't true. Yes it might take more work for some of us to lose and keep weight off but it is something that we can control.  

As in the case of so many of us I have tried just about every diet out there. I grew up as the fat kid(with glasses to boot and I mean thick coke bottle glasses). I was always the last to be picked for sports and always teased about my weight.  Needless to say I was very shy and insecure.   I turned to food for comfort and I found it!  As I would stuff myself full on unhealthy food I would be happy if just for a few moments.   Then I would feel terrible once I came down from that high. I guess it would be the same for any other addiction.   It was one big roller coaster ride. Looking back I can mark just about every holiday with me having been on a diet.    At my heaviest weight I scaled in at 320 lbs(that is the highest my scale went to).   Yes that is me!

On my weight loss journey one of the rewards to myself was to join up for a Learn to Run program when we lived in Ontario.  For each 10 lbs lost  or milestone I accomplished I set mini rewards along the way.  I still remember the very first night of club. I was terrified. Suddenly I was that kid again and feeling very insecure.  I almost didn't go I was so nervous.   I had never run in my life and wasn't sure if I could do this so but off I went anyways.  Needless to say once I discovered I could do it it empowered me.  I was on cloud nine and gosh did the motivation every kick in.   Below is a picture from our first official run and I was at my lowest weight of 180 lbs.


After both of my parents having heart problems and then also cancer I lost my dad to the terrible disease a few years ago, I once again turned to my old "friend" aka food. and I did gain back about 50 lbs of  the 140 lbs I did lose. My dad was my hero and my world shattered.  I've now dealth with my grief and here I am brushing myself off, putting myself out there and ready to get to where I need to go to look after me!   Your mind is a wonderful tool and you can achieve anything you set your mind too.  You just have to believe :). So sit tight, over the month of February I will be your blogger.  Welcome to my world as I begin my training for my 3rd 1/2 marathon. This will be the first with the PRC and I am hoping for a new PB in Ottawa 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment